How do I add someone to the deed of my New York home?

There are many reasons you may want to add someone to the title of your home.  You may have just gotten married or re-married and now wish to add your new spouse as a joint owner.  Or you may want to add an adult child to your title for estate planning purposes.

Whatever the reason,  you will need to retain an attorney, experienced in real estate, to draft  a new deed conveying  (i.e., transferring) your home  to yourself and the person you wish to add to your title. In addition to the deed, your attorney will also need to prepare transfer tax returns. While there is no transfer tax due  on conveyances which are considered gifts, (i.e. no money given for the conveyance) the returns must still be prepared and filed with the county clerk, or in the case of New York City property, the City Register, when the deed is recorded.

How your new deed is drafted will determine your type of joint ownership. Depending on the language used in your deed, you and the person you have added to your title can own the home as either joint tenants with rights of survivorship, tenants in common or tenants by the entirety. Your attorney can advise you as to which type of joint ownership is appropriate in your case.

About George H. Dippel, Attorney at Law

George H. Dippel has been practicing law for over 30 years. He is a graduate of Cornell Law School and a former partner at the law firm of Rivkin Radler in their real estate/banking department. Mr. Dippel opened his own law offices in 1993 in Bayside, Queens, New York. Mr. Dippel has assisted thousands of clients throughout Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, Long Island and Westchester with their wills, probate, trusts, real estate and business matters. In addition to practicing law, Mr. Dippel has taught real estate courses in Long Island University’s paralegal program. He is also a licensed real estate instructor and has taught real estate licensing courses in the New York Metropolitan area. Mr. Dippel is admitted to practice in all New York State Courts and the Federal Eastern and Southern District Courts.
This entry was posted in Real Estate. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.